Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Widgets

NaNoWriMo: My Thoughts Going In


I’ve spent about the last week planning for NaNoWriMo and can’t stop thinking about it. I’ve felt an exhilarating amalgamation of anticipation, nervousness, excitement. Here are my thoughts leading in to NaNoWriMo as a first-timer:

1. I'm totally pumped!
I’ve always wanted to write a novel, for better or worse. I also always had trouble coming up with an idea. Knowing that I will be a part of something larger has helped force me into brainstorming and now I have an idea I am really excited about. It’s been all I can think about for the past week.
 
2. I’m a bit nervous. 
But only a bit. The excitement is definitely the dominant force, but I’m also wondering how I will have time to even write 50,000 words. What happens when I get to the middle of my book and hit writers block? What if I hit writers block before the middle of the book? I have been reminding myself that ~1600 a day really isn’t all that much; I’ve written papers that long in only an hour. This won't be easy, but it's not impossible.

3. NaNoWriMo fuels good/bad stress. 
I expect to be pulling my hair out by the end of the month. Yes, I will make it to the end of the month. Because I am a bit insane, I’m going to be writing this while writing several research papers. If only my upcoming 3000 word papers could go toward the 50,000 words of NaNoWriMo. Clearly, stress is inevitable. It’s also a good motivator. It’s a necessity. I would not have had the push to brainstorm, outline, and create character biographies had it not been for the positive stress of NaNoWriMo. I’d still be sitting around thinking, "I want to write a book someday, but I have no idea where to start.”

4. What is there to lose?
I’m happy to be a part of a bigger group. The NaNoWriMo community is very welcoming and I’ve already learned a lot of useful writing and life tips. It’s the chance to better myself and feel like I've done something worthwhile. By the time November is over, it will be impossible to look back and regret trying.

If you are also participating, feel free to add me as a writing buddy. Good luck!