Friday, July 5, 2013

Widgets

Getting Started

I've written about some of my interests (books, photography, gaming) but I haven't touched on one of my more personal issues. For the past few years, I've had to deal with a difficult anxiety problem. I've spoken to those that are close to me, but I always find it hard to explain and I still haven't quite figured out how. Someday, I will find a way to put it into words. But if that is my only problem, life is good. Luckily, in recent months I have learned how to manage and overcome the physical and mental pains of anxiety. I feel confident and I can deal with stress much better.

I've been taught many techniques to deal with stress, but one of the hardest things to learn was how to avoid procrastinating. Some people might not believe that I procrastinate at all because it goes against everything I believe in, but sometimes my anxiety forces me to procrastinate which is extremely frustrating. I despise lateness and not having a plan, but anxiety makes me lose control of my organization. It makes me focus on all of the details so that I am unable to force myself to get started. Of course, this makes me even me anxious.  However, after getting the stress to a manageable level, I have learned that if I just make sure I get started before I get too stressed, I will be able to handle it. Sometimes when I am stressed I can't prioritize and I think of the long list of to-dos, but the best advice I was given is to just pick what is first. It means I am getting something done.

So, I am doing just that. Thankfully, I was reminded by a friend that I've not been writing and I had to admit to myself that I just haven't been feeling motivated. For some people that is okay, but for me it means that I need to get started right away or I never will. So, this is a promise to myself that I will do my best to do whatever it is I need to. In this case, I need to write about the awesome time I had at Origins Game Fair, the food I've been cooking and the books I've been reading.